The 33 ( Spanish : Los 33 ) is a 2015 English-language American-Chilean biographical disaster – survival drama directed by Patricia Riggen and written by Mikko Alanne, Craig Bortenand José Rivera. The film was based on the 2010 mining disaster , in which a group of thirty-three miners were trapped inside the San Jose Mine in Chile for more than two months. The film stars Antonio Banderas has trapped miner Mario Sepúlveda.
Dozens of people from Copiapó , Chile , work in the San Jose mine . The owner ignores the warnings of the failing stability of the mine, which collapses a short time later. The only path inside the mine is completely blocked, and the thirty-three miners manage to get to the rescue chamber . They discover that the radio is useless, the medical kit is empty, the ventilation shafts lack the required ladders, and there is very little stored food. Mario Sepúlveda becomes the leader of the miners, dividing the food rations and stopping the outbursts of violence and despair. The mine company does not attempt any rescue, and the relative of the miners gather around the gates.
The government of Chile decides on active intervention, and orders the drills to reach the chamber. The first exploratory boreholes move off-target. The miners attach to the drill bit to announce their survival. They receive food and clothing, and television communication with the surface. A second, bigger, drill system is prepared to retrieve the miners one by one.
- Antonio Banderas has “Super” Mario Sepúlveda, public face for the group of miners, who made it to the public that they were all right.
- Rodrigo Santoro as Laurence Golborne , Minister of Mining of Chile .
- Juliette Binoche as María Segovia,  Darío’s sister.
- James Brolin and Jeff Hart,  who has to supervise the drilling operation to save the miners.
- Lou Diamond Phillips as Luis “Don Lucho” Urzúa, the shift foreman, who took a leading role in the mining crews.
- Mario Casas and Ávila Vega,  a miner who suffered from kidney problems and hypertension .
- Gabriel Byrne and André Sougarret,  the engineer who masterminded the escape operation.
- Bob Gunton as Sebastián Piñera ,  President of Chile .
- Adriana Barraza as Marta Salinas.
- Kate del Castillo as Katy Valdivia of Sepúlveda.
- Cote de Pablo as Jessica Vega, the wife of Álex Vega.
- Juan Pablo Raba as Darío Segovia, drill operator and sound of a miner. 
- Jacob Vargas has Edison “Elvis” Peña, the miners’ song leader, who asked for Elvis Presley songs to feel the mine.
- Naomi Scott as Escarlette Sepulveda Valdivia, Mario and Katy’s daughter.
- Marco Treviño as José Henríquez, the miners’ pastor, who led the daily prayers within the shelter.
- Oscar Nunez as Yonni Barrios.
- Alejandro Goic as Franklin Lobos .
- Tim Willcox as himself.
- Federico Luppi 
- Tenoch Huerta 
- Pedro Calvo 
- Mario Kreutzberger (Don Francisco) as himself.
- Gustavo Angarita as Mario Gómez.
The film is based on the 2010 Copiapo mining accident , also known as the “Chilean mining accident”. It is directed by Patricia Riggen and written by Mikko Alanne and José Rivera . Producer Mike Medavoy , who also produced Apocalypse Now , worked with the miners, their families, and those involved in the film together.  On 13 August 2014 It was annoncé That The 33 Would Be the first movie recevoir the Colombian Film Commission’s incentives, qui includes 40% for movie services and 20% for movie logistics services of the amount spent in the country. 
Antonio Banderas , who portrays “Super” Mario Sepúlveda, is the public face for the miners who feels the videos to the rest of the world. The actual Sepulveda expressed his enthusiasm and approval towards having Banderas in the role.  Brazilian actor Rodrigo Santoro plays Laurence Golborne , Minister of Mining. On June 17, 2013, it was announced that Jennifer Lopez had joined the lead of the film,  but later left to contract with American Idol . She was replaced by Juliette Binoche . 
On January 10, 2014, Cote de Pablo joined the cast of the film; she plays the wife of one of the trapped miners. [ 27 ] On 27 January 2014, Gabriel Byrne joined the cast of the film, to play the role of Andre Sougarret, the engineering genius who masterminded the miraculous rescue of the 33 trapped miners.  Next day is 28 January, Bob Gunton joined the cast of the Chilean miner filming, Then shooting in Colombia; he plays the role of Chilean President Sebastián Piñera . 
Principal photography began in December 2013 in Colombia .  Before shooting, Riggen interviewed each of the miners and their families.  After the shooting wrapped up in Nemocón , Colombia in January, crews started filming again in Copiapo , Chile on 5 February 2014, which was the actual place of the incident.  On February 18, 2014, news reported that more than half of the filming was done in the salt mine of Nemocón, Colombia, and rescue scenes were being filmed in Tierra Amarilla, Chile .  Filming wrapped up on 20 February 2014. 
In October 2014, James Horner was hired to compose the music for the film.  It was the second of two scores he had completed in 2015, before his death on June 22 of that year.
The 33 was released across Latin America through 20th Century Fox starting from 6 August 2015 in Chile. It debuted in Colombia on August 20, 2015, along with the rest of Central America. Brazil was the last, where the film was released on 29 October 2015. Its United States and Canada theatrical releases were handled by Warner Bros. on 13 November 2015.  The premiere in Santiago was attended by Prime Minister Sebastián Piñera and Minister Laurence Golborne, in addition to several of the miners. 
On April 28, 2015, Alcon Entertainment acquired North American and the majority of international distribution rights to The 33 , with Warner Bros. to distribute it. On the same day, Warner Bros., where Alcon has its output deal, set the movie’s release date for 13 November 2015. 
As of December 3 , 2015 , the film has grossed $ 12.2 million in North America and $ 12.7 million in other territories for a total of $ 24.9 million, which did not cover the initial budget of $ 26 million. 
In North America, The 33 opened alongside Love the Coopers and My All American on November 13, 2015 with a very poor performance. In its opening weekend, the film was projected to gross $ 7-8 million from 2,452 theaters.  The film grossed $ 1.8 million on its opening day and $ 5.8 million in its opening weekend, finishing below studio projections. 
In Chile, the film grossed $ 1.6 million on its opening weekend, August 6, 2015, showing on 140 screens. This is the second biggest opening for a Chilean film (5% behind Stefan v / s Kramer ), despite coinciding with a severe storm that caused flooding in Santiago and other parts of the country and also marked the sixth-highest opening for Fox International Productions .  Chilean film was the second highest-grossing film.  The film grossed a total of $ 4.9 million in Chile. 
In Mexico it opened at No. 3 with $ 1.3 million, but ended up a total of $ 3 million after three weeks in release.  
The 33 has received most of the reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes the movie: has a rating of 43%, based one 124 reviews, with an average rating of 5.5 / 10. The site’s critical consensus reads, ” The 33 offers an inspirational account of real-life heroism, but its stirring story and solid performances are undermined by a flawed focus and an overreliance on formula.”  On Metacritic , the film has received a weighted average score of 55 out of 100, based on 31 critics, indicating “mixed or average reviews”.  On CinemaScore , audiences gave the film an average grade of “A-” on an A + to F scale. 
Scott Tobias of Variety said, ” The 33rd goals for a comprehensive survey of efforts, but winds up looking less like a hurting docudrama than a ginned-up Irwin Allen disaster movie.” 
Chilean critics had mixed reviews. Ana Josefa Silva gave a mildly positive review, saying that the movie “excites and entertains”, but that the good rhythm of the first half becomes stalled. She praised the acting, but criticized the use of many clichés , like the heroic young character (Golborne), the “inhumane” politician (Piñera) or the brave, “badass” Latina woman (Segovia).  Las Últimas Noticias stated that “while the epic of the rescue is observed to the actual recreation, the agony of the rescued remains in debt in the staging”, and also noted the “young and handsome” hero stereotype.  The Segunda”It’s a disaster with a life message and sentimental vocation that is not willing to give up to truisms associated with the image that Hollywood has of Hispanic America”.  El Mercurio gave a negative review, criticizing the lack of people responsible for the precarious working conditions of the miners, while praising the recreation of the mine and the disaster. 
Among the differences between the film and the real life story, Alex Vega was not the first man to be rescued, but Florencio Ávalos. Also, Vega’s wife was not pregnant at the time. In the film, the Fénix capsule arrives empty at the rescue chamber, but actually there was a rescuer inside of it. The movie also incorrectly shows that Yonni Barrios’ wife and his mistress knew each other before the incident. The capsule did not get stuck with a miner inside; André Sougarret did not order the end of the rescue before the contact with the miners; and María Segovia never slapped Laurence Golborne in the face. 
- Survival movie
- Jump up^ ” THE 33 (12A)” . British Board of Film Classification . November 9, 2015 . Retrieved 9 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ McClintock, Pamela (10 November 2015). “Box Office Preview: Angelina Jolie Pitt’s ‘By The Sea’ Opts for Limited Release . The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved 11 November 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “The 33 (2015)” . Mojo Box Office . Retrieved 11 January 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Antonio Banderas is in Chile to shoot” The 33 ” ” . Voxxi . 10 February 2014. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014 . Retrieved 23 July 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “Juliette Binoche, James Brolin’s Round Out Cast of Chilean Miners’s Movie The 33 ” . Deadline.com . Retrieved 9 December 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Fleming Jr., Mike (27 January 2014). “Gabriel Byrne Joins the Mining Disaster Pic The 33 ” . Deadline.com . Retrieved 28 January 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Chilean Miner Pic The 33 Adds Bob Gunton” . Deadline.com . January 28, 2014 . Retrieved 29 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Balaguera, Jorge (9 December 2013). “El actor Juan Pablo Raba will be Darío Segovia in Los 33 ” (in Spanish). RCN Radio .
- Jump up^ “Antonio Banderas & More Join The Chilean Miner Disaster Drama The 33 ” . FirstShowing.net. May 20, 2013 . Retrieved 17 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ Noonan, Kevin (13 August 2014). “Chilean Miner Movie The First 33 To Receive Colombian Tax Incentive Benefit” . Variety.com . Retrieved 15 August 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Antonio Banderas To Play Chilean Miner, Mario Sepulveda, In The 33” . HuffingtonPost.com. May 20, 2013 . Retrieved 17 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ Siegel, Tatiana (17 June 2013). “Jennifer Lopez to Star in Chilean Miner Drama The 33 ” . HollywoodReporter.com . Retrieved 29 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Pablo Cote Joins Chilean Miner Movie The 33 In First Post-‘NCIS ‘Gig” . Deadline.com . January 10, 2014 . Retrieved 14 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Kay, Jeremy (27 December 2013). ” The 33 begins production” . ScreenDaily.com . Retrieved 1 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Shattuck, Kathyrn (4 November 2015). “Patricia Riggen, Director of ‘The 33,’ on Shooting in a Mine” . The New York Times . Retrieved 12 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ Mango, Agustin (8 February 2014). “Dread Miner The 33 Begins Filming in Chile” . HollywoodReporter.com . Retrieved 8 February 2014 .
- Jump up^ ” The 33 , with Antonio Banderas, filming in Chile” . OnLocationVacations.com . February 18, 2014 . Retrieved 19 February2014 .
- Jump up^ “ON THE SET FOR 2/24/14” . StudioSystemNews.com . February 24, 2014 . Retrieved 25 February 2014 .
- Jump up^ “James Horner Scoring The 33 ” . FilmMusicReporter.com. 18 October 2014 . Retrieved 24 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ Anna Marie de la Fuente (23 July 2015). “Fox Sets Release Dates for Antonio Banderas Pic ‘The 33’ Across Latin America ‘ . Variety . (Penske Media Corporation ) . Retrieved 6 August 2015 .
- Jump up^ Bahamondes, Pedro (2 August 2015). “Estrellas, glamor y trozos de historia: así fue the gala preview of Los 33” [Stars, glamor and pieces of history: so was the gala and preview of The 33]. La Tercera (in Spanish) . Retrieved 23 July 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Alcon Acquires Chilean Mine Disaster Pic The 33 ” . Deadline.com. April 28, 2015 . Retrieved 11 May 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Will ‘Spectrum’ Dominate the Box Office in Its Second Weekend? ‘ . MovieWeb.com .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Bond Still The Man With The Golden Gun In No. 1 As’ Spectrum ‘Targets $ 34.4M;’ By The Sea ‘Drowning’ . deadline.com .
- Jump up^ Tartaglione, Nancy (9 August 2015). ‘ ‘ Rogue Nation ” Higher Flies In 2nd Frame With $ 65.5M ‘Fantastic Four’ With $ 34.1M Bow – Intl Box Office Update ” . Deadline.com . ( Penske Media Corporation ) . Retrieved 10 August 2015 .
- Jump up^ Tartaglione, Nancy (8 September 2015). ” ‘ Terminator’, ‘Hitman’ Lead Sluggish Frame, ‘Compton’ Tops 5 Markets – International Box Office Final” . Deadline.com . ( Penske Media Corporation ) . Retrieved 9 September 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Tartaglione, Nancy (14 September 2015). ” ‘ Maze Runner: Scorch Trials’ Ignites $ 26.7M; ‘Rogue Nation’ Tops With $ 91.4M, Crosses $ 600M WW – Intl BO Update” . Deadline.com . ( Penske Media Corporation ) . Retrieved 15 September 2015 .
- Jump up^ Tartaglione, Nancy (30 August 2015). ” ‘ Terminator’, ‘Mission: Impossible’ Each Cruise Past $ 300M; ‘Compton’ Tops In UK, Germany – Intl Box Office Update” . Deadline.com . ( Penske Media Corporation ) . Retrieved 31 August 2015 .
- Jump up^ “The 33 (2015)” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved 11 February 2016 .
- Jump up^ “The 33 Reviews” . Metacritic . Retrieved 13 March 2016 .
- Jump up^ Tobias, Scott (24 October 2015). “Movie Review: ‘The 33 ‘ ” . Variety . Retrieved 25 October 2015 .
- Jump up^ Silva, Ana Josefa (August 6, 2015). ” ” Los 33 “: Emoción, Starring and Clichés” [“The 33”: Emotion, Entertainment and Clichés]. Anajosefasilva.cl (in Spanish) . Retrieved 23 July 2017 .
- Jump up^ Muñoz, Leopoldo (6 August 2015). ” ” Los 33 ” ” . Las Últimas Noticias (in Spanish) . Retrieved 23 July 2017 .
- Jump up^ Nazarala, Andres (5 August 2015). “Tan lejos, tan cerca” [Faraway, So Close]. La Segunda (in Spanish) . Retrieved 23 July 2017 .
- Jump up^ Martínez, Antonio (7 August 2015). ” ” Los 33 ” ” . Wiken magazine ( El Mercurio ) (in Spanish) . Retrieved 23 July 2017 .
- Jump up^ González, Nicolás (7 August 2015). “10 diferencias between película” Los 33 “y lo realmente ocurrió in the mina San José” [10 differences between the movie “The 33” and what really happened in San José mine]. El Líbero (in Spanish) . Retrieved 23 July 2017 .